The Outlands College of Heralds is a volunteer organization, with White Stag as the Crown's Personal Administrative Herald, but the head of a large group of other volunteers, whose many hands make light work for the heralds of the Kingdom, both branch heralds and heralds at-large. As the primary administrative herald, White Stag also pushes a fair bit of paperwork, and to that end has need of some interested volunteers to join their staff of kingdom deputy heralds!
Vacancies in the Outlands College of Heralds (as of 1 August 2021)
Please feel free to contact White Stag with questions or letters of interest via email at: whitestag 'at' outlandsheralds.org.
- Blue Iris
- The Queen's Herald and traditionally the Crown's lead Court Herald
This herald ensures that Their Royal Majesties have a Voice at events, and compiles and submits court reports covering all of the awards which the Crown presented at any given event.
A strong speaking voice is key, as is regular reporting. Also, a close working relationship with the Crown is a requirement.
- Stag's Attire
- This Herald is charged with increasing the heraldic display within the kingdom, helping to heighten the pageantry which allows the SCA to crossover fully from the Mundane World.
Encouraging folks of all stations, and in all branches to teach classes on how to create and display their armory.
Knowing who to reach out to concerning heraldic display classes (banner making, heraldic surcoats, tabards, etc) is equally important as being able to teach one or all of these classes yourself.
- Fretty Herald
- The Outlands is not alone in the Knowne World, and to ensure that all submissions have been thoroughly vetted, we have three heralds who are charged with reviewing the submissions of other kingdoms for consistency and for conflict.
This herald should have some years of experience with the commentary process conducted by Rampart and Gold Castle Heralds in the submissions process.
- Palmer Herald
- White Stag who is the chief administrative herald is required by kingdom law to have an emergency deputy, to fill their job in their absence.
This herald has previously been considered as the designated successor for White Stag, however there is no requirement that Palmer succeed White Stag at the end of their warrant.
- Local Branch Herald
- The local herald is your average Member's first contact with the College of Heralds, advising folks on the process of registering their names and devices. Even those without Awards of Arms may submit for an registered name and device, and the local herald is their first stop!
In a branch below the Baronial Level, the Herald's office is one of the optional offices, so many smaller shires and colleges may not have a designated herald. If you are interested in volunteering in your local group, and even if you have no experience whatsoever, we welcome new volunteers!
If your local group has a herald, they would welcome a deputy, so please reach out if you are interested!
All the Staff Heralds at the kingdom level should also have deputies, so if you are interested in any of the other positions in the college of heralds which are not currently vacant, please reach out to the Appropriate Herald.